SET A GOOD EXAMPLE
"Do As I Say, Not As I Do" Does not Work!
- Complete stops
- Head checks
- Discuss what is happening in the traffic safety education course
- Be alert for discussion opportunities (without lecturing)
- Pick up a current drivers guide from your License office. Study it with your teen and point out when they are obeying these rules on the road. If they are not, gently point that out to correct them.
- Set the example you want your teens to follow.. Never use your cell phone while driving - whether its a text or just a quick call. It only Takes a second of distraction to result in an accident.
- It is essential that we model good driving behavior and follow the rules of the road. Instructing them to drive properly and then not following those Rules ourselves is hypocritical.
- Washington State has an excellent graduated drivers licensing program, consider implementing your own set of rules until you are comfortable with your offsprings driving skills.